Some time ago, I started playing around with the idea of using paper craft models to create a mask from. I decided that if I could import models of my own design into Pepakura Designer 3, and print them, I could use them as a base for a mask! I'd seen this very idea on the KCS forums years back, but the project never panned out. I ended up hunting around the internet for free 3D modeling programs, and stumbled across HexaGreat 3D and 3DAce. The former was really cool, but it was too incompatible with my OS to save files. The second though, was very similar and I was able to teach myself to create some models in it!
Here's the ones I managed to make.
Using a bunch of reference images, I created what could be described as an average face in the style of the pokemon games. Mostly going with the most recent character art style.
Using that reference, I came out with a model! I tried to keep the polygons to a minimum, but enough to be able to easily smooth out the shape when I actually build it.
After that, I modeled out a cat character I really like. Matakichi from this obscure manga Namennayo! (all of these are equally low-poly, I just turned the smoother on before snapping a screenshot on a lot of these, at the time)
And after that, Kaiji!
After modeling them out, it was just a matter of converting them into fold-able papercraft files!
Next comes the fiberglassing. The plan is to coat the paper models in fiberglass resin, reenforce the insides with fiberglass cloth, and then use body filler to fill the facets and sand it all smooth.
I edited Kaiji to be wider and have a slightly smaller cranium in 3DAce, and then created a new paper craft template from that. For the Pokemon styled mask, I edited out her mouth so that there wouldn't be that weak point in the structure. The mouth can always be sculpted later. I also figured out how to print in white instead of dark gray, making it easier for the paper to absorb the resin.
Some time during this process, I met the awesome Michael Spookshow and we've been meeting up to work on masks together! At this point, I've now gotten both these new models coated in resin, and I'm working from there. More updates soon!